Monday, April 25, 2005

Insomniac Jr.

Today was clinicals and that means waking up at 4:30 in the morning and THAT means that I really need to get to bed early. This is especially true as I went to bed around 1 on Friday and Saturday night because I was talking with Maura and watching movies with Myrna and Luis, respectively. So I was a bit short on sleep.

It was only when I got back to the dorm Sunday evening that there was clinicals and that I hadn't finish all the paperwork from last week. I had to do a care plan for one of the patients I had that week, fill out 2 or 3 med sheets, and fill out at least 2 weekly self assessments because *everyone* in our clinical group (except for 1 person) has forgot to fill out those for the time we have been in the Med/Surg rotation.

I got the med sheets and the weekly evals done before I keeled over, and tried to convince myself that I would do my care plan in the morning on the 20-25 minute drive. THat didn't happen.

So it's 11 and I'm in bed with my light out. That's good, I could get 5 1/2 hours of sleep. 11:30 comes. *KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK* No, I isn't my RA coming for room check. It turns out that she isn't in the dorm so every one has to go to the front desk and sign in, the freshman hoping that they won't get a blue slip because they had to "come in" after their curfew.

After I do get to sleep it is... later. Then "OH NO! IT'S 4:30! I HAVE TO GET UP! Wait, it's only 2."

I go back to sleep.

Then "OH NO! IT'S 4:30! I HAVE TO GET UP! Wait, its only 2:02."

I go back to sleep.

Then "OH NO! IT'S 4:30! I HAVE TO GET UP! Wait, its only 2:03."

I go back to sleep.

Then "OH NO! IT'S 4:30! I HAVE TO GET UP! Wait, its only 2:06."

I go back to sleep.

Then "OH NO! IT'S 4:30! I HAVE TO GET UP! Wait, its only 2:10."

Do you sense a PATTERN here? I was SO not happy. Have no idea why I kept thinking it was time to get up, but the up shot is that I got about 4 hours of sleep and it was not quality sleep.

I was yawning in my patient's face all morning. I had an easy patient, which was nice, but today was my day to go to the other clinical group's floor in UMass Memorial. I really like the floor and the instructor that I have.

I felt like I was having to play ketchup all morning because we're supposed to have an assessment written and in the chart by 10 at the latest, I like to have it done by 9, but the instructor WOULD NOT look it over until after 11, by which time I was done with my Pt. at CT because I got to observe her scan. I wasn't up to the floor again until 12:30, by which time someone had seen that there wasn't an assessment and written one. I don't like other people having to do the work I'm supposed to do.

So, the upside to EVERYTHING that happened is that there is only 3 days left of clinicals! YEAH! And I got to start my comprehensive care plan on the pt. I had today! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really worried when I would find a patient that was alert enough to answer all 11 pages of questions that I had to ask and had time to answer them. But it's done. Well, the interview is done. THen rest won't be hard, it will just take time.

So, that was MY day.

No comments: